Küchenhexe (formerly Zanne Chaos) (kuchenhexe) wrote in little_details,
Küchenhexe (formerly Zanne Chaos)

  • Mood:

Turn of the century locomotive parts

Okay, I give up. I googled and wikied and the only things that looked like they might be able to give me the answer were images too freakin' small to read the text.

So on a locomotive, a passenger car on a turn-of-the-century era train, what's the parts of the wheels that make the infamous clackity-clack sound? I'm assuming it's the bar between them, but is that called anything in particular? And if it's something else, what is it? I think what I'm looking for is "brake beam", but I'm not sure. ANSWERED! Thank you!

(And for a bonus - does anyone know what the sound would be like from inside of such a car, either from personal experience or from background noise in movies? I'm deaf, so that makes it a little hard for me to figure out the answer directly.)

Damn fussy characters. -_-
Tags: ~trains, ~travel: ground & rail

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic
    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.