when regiment is gone (kindkit) wrote in little_details,
when regiment is gone

British furniture terminology

Hi all!

I'm wondering what the term would be, in British English, for a small two-person sofa. In American English it's called a "love seat," but I'm not sure if that would be the British name as well. Would it be a "settee"? And for that matter, is there actually a difference between a "settee" and a sofa or couch? I've looked all these things up in the OED, but the formal definitions aren't actually all that helpful for usage differences.

Thanks so much!
  • Post a new comment


    default userpic
    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.