Long time lurker, first time poster, yadh yadh
Don't be suprised to hear a lot from me, I've several projects on the go.
Just today I got inspired to write an AU story for my favourite fandom. The main characters will become the crew of a priate ship. Well they aren't strictly pirates. In the original fandom they are an international military organisation answerable only to the world president (it's futuristic). So for the AU I imagine them as a band slightly unoffical independant 'soldiers'/bounty hunters who will work for pretty much whichever official type will pay up. (think Firefly, Han Solo etc)
For my plot they are dispatched by a governer of a British colony to rescue his daughter for a band evil pirates.
* Not exactly sure on the time period I'll be using, whenever pirating was at it's peak I guess (can't recall when that was though; late 18th/early 19th century?).
* How big a ship would they have?
Assuming they only have the 12 main characters, and just enough crew to keep going (so about 50 people in total, maybe). They definetly need a deck with quaters for everyone, a 'gun deck' (somewhere with cannons), and a surgery for the ship's doctor. Everything else necessary can be thrown in too of course.
I'm going with the premise that the ships captain had been in the navy, then bought a ship and struck out on his own. So it could well by an ex-navy vessel.
* Speaking of gun deck, what kind of cannons would be easy to acquire (my people have connections) and maintain. How would they get hold of cannon balls etc (black market?) Would the crew need some sort of training to operate them?
* Does anyone have some really good websites I could check out for general stuff about prirates, the British navy, British colones etc around then? Will google of course, just wondered if there were any special recommendations.
Am trying to create backstories for each of the characters to explain how they got in this situation. Was doing fine for the guys, but am stuck for a few...
The details I'm giving cannot be altered as they're canon, though being AU there is some wrigging room...
* How 'high ranking' could a black man (from Trinidad) expect to be on a ship in that time frame? The captain of their ship is British, and the whole crew opposed slavery (for personal reasons). In the original context this guy is the leader's right hand man.
* What was the American navy like at that time, how did the sailors feel about the British?
Could it be feasable that an American would happily serve on a ship with a British captain? (if it's too complicated I can probably just make those characters British too)
* Then there are the female characters...
I know ordinarily women didn't really serve in naval related careers, but in the orginal context they are really key characters and on an equal footing with the men. Would like to keep their status and skills as far as possible.
One [Magnolia 'Mag'] is African-American, so could be either an escaped slave, or else 'bought' by one of the crew to save her (may go with the later, could be good for tension).
Another [Karen] is half of a canon couple. So would it be reasonable for her to just have gone to sea with her husband? She's got the character to take to that enviroment pretty well.
Then the other two, any ideas what their stories could be?
A) Chan = Japanese, quiet and refined, with maritial art skills
B) Juliette = French, very attractive/feminine, tough cookie
Thanks in advance :)