I'm writing a story, set in the 60's in the UK, and I'm in dire need of an illness to bestow upon one of my characters. I've looked through some medical books, as well as wiki and WebMD (I've been looking primarily into heart and kidney disorders), but I can't seem to find anything that would match my requirements, which would be:
- preferably, a congenital disorder, or an illness that manifests itself in early childhood;
- something that would be, while not treatable, at least somewhat manageable in the time the story is set;
- something that might be lethal in the long run (though not necessarily), but with some possibility of survival until the character is in his twenties or thirties;
- might require frequent hospitalization, surgeries, medication, etc;
- doesn't have many - if any - neurological symptoms;
- something might progress with time and, preferably, with symptoms worsening due to smoking and/or alcohol use.
googled terms included: congenital disorder, chronic illness, chronic disease
Thanks in advance for any suggestions!