nightrose83 (nightrose83) wrote in little_details,

Foreign Teacher Requirements 1980s

Hi all,

I've hit another area of frustration and rather than tear my hair out, I thought I'd come here.

Background and setting: USA. My MC's mother was born in the former West Germany (Frankfurt am Main) and comes to the US in the mid-to-late 80s, coming to live in NJ. While in Germany, she's been certified to teach secondary school, working as an English teacher, but after the move, she'd still like to work in teaching, preferably in a secondary education position.


Edit 3: Done more Googling. Apparently, sitting your first state teaching exam in Germany is the equivalent to doing Master Degree work on the Anglophone model, so, after brushing up on her English enough, would it be realistic to say that my MC's mother started substituting after that?

Edit to add: If I have to name drop a university, I need one where the degree can transfer a little more easily. My character would have started university in 1976 and gone for an English/German teaching certification. I was thinking of Goethe University or Freie Universität, Berlin, but I'm not sure if that would be an appropriate school to posit for this situation (considering each German state has/had its differences in the way schools do specific things, and most teachers get a job in the state they're certified to teach in), and all the information on degrees is post Bologna Process, which I don't need. If anyone (preferable a native German) has one that's better, please let me know. Thank you!

Research: Google with terms, 'what does a foreign-born teacher need to teach in US', same but replaced US with 'NJ' instead.
Tags: 1980-1989, usa: education (misc)

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic
    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.