I've already done Google searches with the terms 'NYPD detective-investigator' 'Minimum service in US military' and 'NYPD police officer hiring requirements' as well as checking through the archive tags here, reading the enrollment website for the US military (which doesn't really help as I'm looking for enrollment details from about sixteen years ago) and checking the Wikipedia pages for detective-inspector, New York Police department ranks, United States military and timeline of 20th century United States military engagements.
I've gotten a lot of information about the individual parts but what I need is more concise information to tell me if his history is correct or not. The questions I have then are:
1) If someone enlisted in the US military in 1996, what was the most likely place they might be deployed to while serving?
2) How long was the minimum service term including training at that point?
3) Would someone with no post-secondary education but a career in the military be allowed to apply to become a police officer in NYC? (I have very conflicting information on this as some sources seem to say yes provided they have their GED and others say no, post-secondary education is required)
4) How many years of training are required with the NYC police academy before a person is a full officer?
5) How long would someone have to be a police officer before they could be promoted to detective-inspector?