Situation: a three year old is in the middle of a circus tent collapse, and gets hit by a downed support pole. This results in injury to one or both legs. Said injury can't be totally fixed, and he grows up with limited mobility. His injuries result in mild/moderate chronic pain. He can stand and walk short to middling distances use of an aid like a forearm crutch, but not unassisted. For longer distances, and bad days, he uses a wheel chair. Main focus of the fic will be when he's 12 & when he's 16.
I’m thinking he’ll get some sort of greenstick or compound fracture in one of his lower legs, but I’m not sure if that’s actually permanently impairing with modern medicine.
1. What sort of leg injury would reasonably result in limited mobility and chronic pain, without doing any other serious damage?
2. What would it look like once it healed? Would there be visible scars, deformation, texture differences?
1. What sort of crutch/cane would a twelve year old/sixteen year old be using?
2. Would he need a leg brace(s) in addition to a cane?
Treatment and side effects
1. How would the injury affect his growth, especially during puberty?
2. Assuming he only gets minimal physical therapy, what problems is he going to run into?
Search on Google, with the following list: Orthopedic cane, Orthopedic crutch, Daily use crutch, Partially limited mobility, Limited mobility, Writing characters with disabilities, Writing characters with physical disabilities, Childhood disabilities, Childhood limited mobility, Broken leg children, Poorly set broken limb, Childhood crippling, Crippling injury, Wheelchair Types, mobility impairing injury, childhood mobility issues, Child mobility impairment
ETA: Thanks, everyone. Especially Xenokattz. I have what I need to start writing.