- backpack (esp. the kind that an infantry soldier would carry)
- to break out of prison
- Tsuga canadensis (Eastern or Canadian hemlock)
- wild shrubbery or scrub, generically (the setting is a valley in rural Maine)
- Viburnum lantanoides (hobblebush or witch-hobble or moosewood, a shrub that grows in eastern North America)
- Oxalis montana (wood sorrel)
Resources consulted: Wikipedia s.v. Canadian Maritime English; Carelton County Colloquialisms; the “Canadian Slang and English Words” page on CKA.