Setting: Ohio 2010/11 sort of time (the part of the story I'm asking about is set around August/September 2010, and I'm assuming not a lot will change unexpectedly between now and then.)
Characters: Two guys and a girl, 20 at the start of the story.
My main character wants to open a music venue, she's pretty much filthy rich, so money isn't really a problem in any way shape or form. Turning it into a well run profitable buisness is her long term goal, but she isn't worried if money has to be injected to get it off it's feet and then slowly made back through profit in the long term.
What I want to know is:
1) If her father purchased the deeds, got all the legal paperwork filled out in his name etc, with the intention of letting her largely make the buisness decisions but just with him overseeing it and technically running it because she's not quite 21, and then transfered it over on her 21st birthday, would that be possible. I had it in my head that they were 20, and then remembered drinking age is higher in the states, and well, I'm quite stuborn when I get things into my head so I'd rather keep it if I can. I don't know if the authorities would allow it, when really she's kind of acting manager, even if it's not in the legal sense. It sounds kinda like something that would be iffy but maybe overlooked. If they wouldn't, I can always make her 21.
2) If she was 21, would she be able to employ people who were 20, as long as they weren't behind the bar?
3) What kind of paperwork etc is required for setting up a music venue in Ohio? Obviously there would be a liquor license, some kind of license for live music (I presume) and probably a lot more. I've only been able to find details of UK regulation, or nightclub regulations, which give me an idea, but I'd quite like the specifics.
4) Would you say a ballpark figure of between $239,250 and $837,100 (taken from a nightclub article) is acurate for music venues? Or do the two vary dramatically?
5) If anyone has any experience either booking bands for a venue, or as a band booked for a venue, I'd love to hear how that process was first hand. I have some general info on how it works at my local venue, but I'd like to get a wide variety of experiences so I can get a good feel for the industry on a whole.
Searches on google: various combinations of starting a music venue, music venue start up costs, and running nightclubs.
Thank you! (Appologies for any typos, I've had to borrow a computer for this and me and it do not get along.)