Tamanna (swingandswirl) wrote in little_details,

Inter-state transfer of custody to non-relative after death of mother

Scene: Modern day, Los Angeles, California (residence of the would-be parents) and Wichita, Kansas (residence of child in question- but this can change if need be)

Situation: I've got a story where a character dies off-screen, leaving custody of her ten-year-old son to his godfather. Godfather has not been in the child's life in five years and only comes to know of the mother's death through CPS / a lawyer. The father is dead and there are no other blood relatives.

So, my questions: First, who would do the actual contacting, assuming that the mother leaves my character the child in her will? CPS, or her lawyer?

Second, what would be the procedure for transfer of custody? My character and his husband are already licenced to provide foster care, would there be any additional requirements?

Third, how long would the whole thing take? The adoptive parents are planning to stay in Wichita, KS, for a couple of weeks to take care of things like disposal of the mother's things and school stuff, but what would be the earliest they could take him home to LA?

Research done: Googling the archives here, as well as several variations of 'kansas adoption law interstate.' Unfotunately, all the information seems to geared toward people looking to adopt, which is not what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance!
Tags: usa: california, ~custody & social services

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic
    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.