I'm working on a scenario where I want to have an earthquake caused by something hitting the earth. I've seen the Wikipedia page on "Impact event", and I've found the site at "http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/impacteffects/".
Unfortunately, it starts with full inputs and calculates the effect. What I need is, knowing the effect and some of the inputs what the values/value ranges of the other variables are.
1) Assume a man-made object of 10,000 metric tons
2) impacting at close to perpendicular to the earth's surface
a) with average soil qualities
3) and causing earthquake registering in the Richter 5.5-5.8 zone 100 kilometers away.
1) How fast does it have to be going?
2) What are other effects given those numbers? Blast wave? Clouds of ejected particles? Crater size?
SOLVED: looks like I have what I need. THanks to everyone for the help.