Setting: Half in New York City, half in Ireland -- the 90's or thereabouts Search Terms: Irish Villages, Rural Ireland Hostels
My character spends about a month in Ireland, staying, most likely, at a youth hostel, in a small town with little to no urban development. Angela Carter's essay on Bloomsday talked about how Dublin was developing rapidly enough to be nigh-indistinguishable from Joyce's Dublin, and that essay was written sometime in the 80's.
So -- anyone know of an Irish village that definitely has a hostel? Are there other common means of Irish travel accommodation?
Looking for the following things in relation to the Bhopal disaster of 1984:
1. Some kind of official weather report for the night of December 3, 1984. I've found sources that say it was windy, there was a draft that carried the chemical downwind to where everyone slept, but nothing really detailed. IMHO, the more detail of the weather that night (and even the following morning) the better.
2. Where exactly was the Union Carbide factory in relation to where the people of Bhopal lived? A map of the area circa 1983/1984 which shows the position of the factory would be excellent.
Any help would be appreciated, especially with NaNoWriMo starting soon. Thank you!
I'm an English department graduate assistant at my graduate school and one of the writing professors is in search of a Las Vegas city guide from around 1980 or 1981. We both tried searching Google, Yahoo!, Amazon, bookfinder.com, ebay, and wikipedia, but I have yet to find anything. If anyone happens to know of a place website where I could locate one of these so this professor could buy a copy I would be VERY appreciative. He would be as well since he's in need of it for one of his current writing projects.
In the meanwhile, I'm going to keep looking on my end. :-)
ETA: The college I am currently attending is in Albany, NY, so that's making this task extra hard and limits me to almost a strictly internet based search. I've also checked the college library, local library, my hometown library, and the databases online for the college library, but I'll be checking that over again as I continue the book search for my professor.
Thanks for any help you might be able to give!!
(If this isn't the right kind of question to ask here, mods, please feel free to delete!)
I've been trying every single word combination on Google I can think of, but nothing really helpful seems to come up.
Is there a site anywhere on the net that lists U.K. candy from the early 1900s? The only candy I can think of off the top of my head is something called "humbugs" (forgive my American ignorance), and I'm not even sure such sweets would be available in modern times. If there is any candy from that time period that you could still get in shops today, what are they? And a bonus question: what do they look and taste like?
I'm going to keep searching, but any information regarding any of these questions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!
ETA: Wow, you guys are quick and totally awesome. Thanks for all your help!
searched: yahoo, google "bacteria facts" "unusual facts about bacteria" "interesting facts about bacteria" "Particles in house-fire smoke". Found some things but not a lot.
1)I'm still working on my mysophobic character and I just need some unusual/interesting/amazing facts about germs and/or bacteria.
For example, I heard that there are more bacteria in human beings mouths than there are people on earth.
I just need more facts like that.
2) My mysophobic lives on the 3rd floor of a 4 story building. How long would it take a fire started on the first floor to reach his floor? Would the building collapse before it reached his floor or could it plausibly still be standing? (It's, tentatively,a grease fire)
2B)How long would it take for the smoke to reach his floor? How long would it take for the electricity to go out?
3) I was going to have my mysophobic have groceries delivered and left outside his door so he could avoid exposure to the delivery person. Afterwards he would wear gloves and a mask to get the groceries, then wash everything. I was also going to have him pay for everything with plastic so he wouldn't have to handle money. Is that plausible?
4)Is there some way he could get better quality air in his apartment? I was thinking he could have high quality air filters installed or air purifiers in his apartment but would that work? If not what would?
5) What other types of precautions could my mysophobic take to avoid exposure to germs/bacteria/etc?
6) What kind of online job/business could a person have where they could make a comfortable/pretty good/okay living and never have to leave their house?
7)Does anyone know of a website where I can find out what kind of particles would/could be in the smoke of a house fire?