September 6th, 2007

  • edtel

Speech recovery after emotional trauma

Argh! I give up.

Google terms used: disuse of voice, speech therapy, childhood speech development, speech therapy. Various combinations therein. Never been good with the Google-fu. I ended up with lots of other useful information about childhood speech disorders, speech therapy and speech recovery after strokes, and while some of it was also useful, it's not answering my question.

Setting is Ontario, Canada - 2007. I have an eight year old character who has never spoken. Trauma in his earlier life caused him to lose his voice. Everything else about his physical and mental development is normal. Over the course of the story he finds his voice, but I imagine his vocal chords would be weak or there might be some sort of other damage associated to the disuse.

My question is this: What kind of therapy would he need in order to talk normally again? About how long would this take on average? Is it possible that there would be long-term or permanent damage?

EDIT: Thanks, guys! I think I got all the information I needed, and some other great places to look for more info.

Need to know what it's called...if called anything at all

Hi. I was directed here by a friend on my flist for a question I had posted to my personal LJ. Hoping you can help me out, as the flist is drawing as big a blank as I am.

The yin and the yang. We've seen it. Everyone knows what it looks like.

What is the little contrasting dot in the solid colored teardrop half of the yin and yang called? Not what it represents, what it's called.

The closest we've come to is 'seed' or 'seed of change'. I was hoping to have the correct term for it (English or Chinese) so I could correctly refer to it in a fic as something other than 'the little dot'. [grin]

Thanks in advance.