January 20th, 2007

Creepy Shape

Race terms outside of USA

What is the polite term used for persons with black skin in English-speaking countries outside of America? Are they called the equivilant of "African American" (eg, African British) or does that kind of term come into play at all?
Secondly, would a black person who lived in London but now lives in America be at all annoyed or offended at having to refer to themselves as "African American" in things like job applications?

EDIT: Thank you, you've all been extremely helpful! I edited the second question a bit because it seemed to cause a little confusion.
  • Current Mood