June 27th, 2005

British equivalent of "knock up"

What would a slang term someone in England (around 1930, preferably, but if there wasn't one a more recent term is fine) might use to mean "get pregnant"? I'm essentially looking for the equivalent of the American term "knock up", which I know has other meanings in England. The context, if it matters, is a girl joking suggesting to her boyfriend that if he got her pregnant their guardians would no longer be able to object to their marriage.

FBI agent requirements-- lawyers?

Hey gang. Long time lurker, first time poster, and as usual I wish to praise the gods who first invented this community. ;)

Onto my question! Those of you who have read the novel Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris may (or may not) recall a line Lecter says to Starling near the beginning of their chats, something along the lines of "You're not a laywer, though-- ah yes, but the FBI doesn't require that of their agents anymore, does it?" (Rough paraphrase, I'm working from memory.)

What I'm looking for is -- well, first of all, whether this is something Thomas Harris invented or not (though I doubt it). If it is factual, does anybody know when the FBI stopped requiring a law degree from its agents? Not for a SotL fic, but another FBI-related thing.

Anyways, I've googled and sech, but it's a tricky thing to search for, so I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Vision Problems

Is there a drug or poison that would mess with someone's vision so that they would think that they needed glasses?

  • Current Mood: There is a one-eyed snake in your pants . . . and it wants a cookie.
  • Current Music: 13 - Night of Fate-SqaureEnix