I have a character who gets bitten on the forearm by a wolf (which I'm assuming would be the same as a large dog in thus case). It's a violent bite, but it's on the outer side of his arm (defensive wound). The character is a ten-year-old boy, and there's no medical care nearby.
The wolf is then hit over the head with a fireplace poker (not sure if this matters, but just in case), causing it to let go.
What I need to know is... (and this is kinda long, I apologize)
1. How much is he going to bleed? Life-threateningly? I know it would change depending on the veins damaged. I'm assuming none of the major arteries in his arm are severed.
2. How long will it take for the bleeding to stop? His arm is bandaged with a torn-up shirt. Will he bleed through? Will it be necessary to bandage again?
3. Is it theoretically sound for him to fall unconscious just a few minutes after being bitten? Would it then be possible that he stays unconcious, due to blood loss and such, for several hours?
4. How long would it take for an infection to set in, in hours, from when he's bitten? Nothing specific. Nothing life-threatening, either, just something that will cause him to have a fever.
5. Scarring... will it probably be a good idea to put stitches in? If so, what if stitches aren't put in? Will the scarring be worse? Will the scar be recognizable as a dog bite, or could you pass it off as some sort of other injury?
6. What kind of permanant mobility control is he likely to lose, if any? It's a deep bite, but I'm unsure as to whether it's more of a ripping motion or just a puncture. Will it be likely that the muscle(s) in his arm are damaged, and will this cause any problems with the use of the arm?
I'm sorry it's this long. I almost wish I'd been bitten by a dog, then I'd know some of this.
And later.... post-traumatic stress disorder, with specific questions!