Previous sources: My friend's dad who is a doctor, google, wikipedia.
I'm planning a fic where the main character suffers from acute viral myocarditis. This is a flexibe diagnosis, but it's the closest thing I've been able to find that fits my criteria. Those criteria being that it needs to be a heart disease that is non-congenital, and can strike someone who is young (young in this case being 18 years old), and relatively healthy otherwise. Also, it needs to cause significant chest pain. If anyone can think of any other ailments that fit that description, please let me know. I would like something with a slightly grimmer prognosis. But anyway, what I've got right now is acute viral myocarditis.
My understanding is that this illness is triggered by a previous viral infection, such as the flu. Also, similar symptoms can arise from bacterial infection, and toxins found in cocaine. The character in question does not do cocaine, and he isn't likely to be infected with most of the illnesses listed, except possibly the flu. So that's what I'm going with. My questions are as follows.
1) Is what I've said so far an accurate understanding? Most of it was obtained through my own research, and I'm not sure if it's right. If it's wrong, what needs to be corrected?
2) Assuming I'm correct, how soon after the initial flu infection would the heart problems start?
3) What kind of progression would the illness have?
4) How is it usually treated? I found several options, but I don't know which of them are actually used on a regular basis.
5) I'm told that the chest pain feels like a heart attack, which is the primary reason I want to use this illness. However, I don't really know what a heart attack feels like. I want to be able to describe this with some accuracy, so tips are appreciated.
6) How likely is recovery? What kind of damage could one expect afterwards, if any?
Basically, I'm trying to make this as accurate as I possibly can. Since it's a somewhat obscure illness, I'm not finding a lot of information. Thanks in advance for any help that you can give me!