Silver (silversolitaire) wrote in little_details,

  • Mood:

What makes a substance toxic?

I have a question that unfortunately seems very basic, but that seems to be the reason why I can't find proper information. I've tried googling "chemically poisonous" and "chemically toxic" and similar but nothing explained my question. They rather went on about the amount or dose entering a system, general toxicity and removal from the body.

My question is, how can you tell something is chemically toxic? Imagine you have a substance you've never seen before. How can you tell it's toxic without doing the obvious test (i.e. injecting it into a lab rat or something). Is there a test to tell? Anything? I know zilch about chemistry, so I don't even know where to look... Thanks a lot!
Tags: ~medicine: poisoning

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic
    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.