I've recieved great help from you guys about stab wounds, and now you've helped me put my character in this situation: the young man has several bruises, as well as a broken thumb, a fractured rib, and five stab wounds: two in the neck, one in the abdomen, and two in the back. I've decided, on your wonderful advice, that one of the neck wounds will nick an artery (the common carotid artery, to be exact). This will cause him to almost die of blood loss--hopefully that's realistic. Now, having never had any serious hospital visits myself (thank god and knock on wood), I have a a bunch of questions about the place.
1) This young man and his young man friend (who recieved four stab wounds: two in the chest, one in the abdomen, and one in the back, as well as a pneumothorax, but will also survive) are rushed to the hospital in critical state, because they have almost bled to death. How long would it take for the medics to get them into a 'stable' condition?
2) How soon would their friends and parents be allowed to visit them?
3) Is there a maximum amount of people that would be allowed in the room at one time?
4) How long would their friends be allowed to stay? Their parents?
5) Now let's take the first young man, with the wounds, the nicked artery, the fractured rib, and broken thumb. When his friends walk into his room, what would he look like? He's in an induced sleep. I imagine his neck would be heavily bandaged because of the neck wounds, and his thumb would be in a cast. His abdomen and back, having also been stabbed, would obviously be bandaged as well. What would be visibly done for his fractured rib?
6) What is the recovery process for a fractured rib? How long would he be in the hospital? How long might he be hurting, or have to 'be careful?'
7) How long would his broken thumb be unusable? He's a drummer--when can I put him behind the kit again?
8) Both young men have recieved quite severe bruising: they were kicked repeatedly by three pairs of angry combat boots, so you can probably imagine. If any of you medically wise people can imagine the bruises that could be recieved, could you possibly tell me how long it would be before they began to fade?
Sorry for this flood, guys, and thank you SO MUCH! How did I ever write anything before I knew about Little Details?