Cat Brooks (catbrooks) wrote in little_details,
Cat Brooks

  • Mood:

Race terms outside of USA

What is the polite term used for persons with black skin in English-speaking countries outside of America? Are they called the equivilant of "African American" (eg, African British) or does that kind of term come into play at all?
Secondly, would a black person who lived in London but now lives in America be at all annoyed or offended at having to refer to themselves as "African American" in things like job applications?

EDIT: Thank you, you've all been extremely helpful! I edited the second question a bit because it seemed to cause a little confusion.

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic
    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.