oldby21 (oldby21) wrote in little_details,

  • Mood:

British slang/terms of endearment

Because Google and the various books in my room aren't providing a whole lot of help.

Let's say you've got a gay English couple, both men in their late-twenties, early-thirties, thereabouts. Would they be likely to refer to each other as "love?" My instincts say yes, but every "guide" book I find either doesn't make that distinction, or in one memorable instance, says that women use it indiscriminately but men never use it among men. Of course, it failed to mention what would happen if those men really were in love.

Along that line, are there other affectionate names that could be used? I know the standards still exist like honey and sweetheart and everything, but are there any other distinctly British ones out there floating around? Doesn't have to be gender-specific or anything in this case, I'm just curious.

Oh, and one last thing: what are some general terms of abuse amongst UK citizens when referring to one another? The only one I know of is "sassanach" so I'm looking for anything else close to that, regardless of place of origin. Again, I've tried the usual "British English to American English" lexicon sites online, but so far I've been unable to find one that A) lists terms the British use with each other and not just what other countries say about them/vice-versa and B) actually distinguishes from what region the name/phrase/whatever comes.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Tags: ~languages: english: uk

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic
    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.