Ms. D (chapstickqueen) wrote in little_details,
Ms. D

writing sounds

I'm not sure this is the right place to ask this, but it's about writing, and I can't figure out the answer.

What is the term that describes writing uot a sound... For example, if I type "hm HHMMmmm hmmhmm hmm" when someone hums a tune or something like "My car made a funny noice, it sounded like rrr...rrrrrr....rrrrrrr.RRRKKKKKkkKKKKschhh.", what is the termto describe that?

EDIT: It's onomatopoeia. Which used to be one of my favorite words! I can't believe I forgot!
Tags: ~languages: english (misc)

  • Military command to begin

    Hey everyone, I'm back for more military stuff. Still a fantasy army roughly modelled after the Napoleonic times, but I think this might be the…

  • Glasgow slang, common phrases

    Hey, all! I am writing a story in which one of the main characters is from Glasgow and has been living in London for the past 12 years. She's in her…

  • Translation into English, with a dose of word-making

    I'm translating my story, originally written in Russian, into English. Part of the setting has a distinct Slavic flavour, which I really want to…

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic
    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.