Little Details

A Fact-Checking Community for Writers

Previous Entry Share Next Entry
dish/liquid soap toxicity
Bear Nuts
six_crazy_guys wrote in little_details
How likely is it that the average liquid or dish soap will be toxic if swallowed? I know the vast majority of bar soaps are made not to be, and that heavy-duty or antibacterial liquid soap are likely to be, but I'm not sure about the run-of-the-mill ones, and google search throws up all sort of digressions (an oddly high amount of nature living-relayted stuff, notably).

(For the record, it's for a BDSM scene, so I need to know if it's possible for my character to find one she can use safely)

Oh dammit, I might as well ask while I'm at it.

And are any compound found in such soaps likely to become toxic if mixed with urine?

Toxic...how? Is your person going to force someone to drink it? Or use it for lube? Or....what?

When swallowed. Thanks for pointing that out; this comm is great to remind yourself that what is obvious to you is not for everyone ^__^

Well, back in the day my sister gave me water with soap in it, which I didn't notice until after I drank it and was then throughly sick.

Parents were not amused, I must say.

The short answer appears to be no, but.....
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/If_swallowed_is_dawn_dish_soap_toxic

It's not without side effects.

This article seems to equate dish soap to radiation or something but, i think they're a little over the top.
http://www.davidsuzuki.org/NatureChallenge/newsletters/march2006_toxic/page3.asp

I don't think anything in fresh urine would react. Urine that decomposes becomes ammonia, and that might react to *something*, including skin, but...not sure.

You should amend your post, or you'll be asked the same question i asked all day. :)

"Soaps have a tendency to act as a laxative."

This would probably explain why we hardly notice the difference when little kids eat from bar soap XD XD XD

First of all, ew.

Second of all, stale urine mixed with chlorine bleach produces a potentially fatal gas. Never mix different kinds of bathroom cleaners, as ammonia + bleach is bad news, and they all have one or the other.

Third of all, drinking liquid soap with an antibacterial agent (or even taking prescription antibiotics, for that matter) will screw up your digestion for however long it takes to repopulate the intestinal flora. It can also create the conditions for a UTI, and/or a yeast infection. If you want to reduce/prevent these issues, make sure the victim gets plenty to drink, and perhaps some cranberry juice, and yogurt with live cultures. If you want to create these issues, add a little dehydration to the mix.

And the laxative effect has been covered.

As it is, none of these impact on what I'm writing, but thanks for the comments in any case ^__^;;

For future reference, the google term you were looking for was "LD50" aka, the lethal dose required to kill 50% of the test subjects.

You could also google "LC50" (lethal concentration in air which, upon inhalation, can cause 50% of the test subjects to die.

The LD50 number of soap would have given you a general idea of how toxic a chemical was.


The worst part is that I know what LD50 is... Thanks! It does help.

This may hardly help at all, but:

I knew a girl who tried to commit suicide by drinking dishwashing liquid. This is the mild sort, of course, the one with all the lemon and gentle-on-hands copywriting on the labels used at homes. She glugged down an entire bottle, and was rushed to the hospital immediately (she downed it during a fight with her boyfriend).

Firstly, chances of her dying from it were slim, but chances of her ruining her liver were very high -- this is offhand random info I got out of collective knowledge. Secondly, it tastes really, really, really horrible. According to her, she will never attempt suicide in that way ever again.

Bar soaps are different. Bar soaps are made of palm oil and a little bit of other things, so it's actually quite edible. I used to live in a house that would often have rat visitation at night, and it was not unusual to see that the rats have nibbled -- or even bitten off a huge chunk -- of soap as if it were a block of cheese.

Trying to relate this to your story: I can't really see how well this would play out if it were consensual. This scenario is much easier written if it were non-consensual -- you can just have your character rushed to the hospital afterwards.

It did help in confirming most things. Given that it's a gulp or two at max, I don't expect any repercussion. And thanks for confirming my suspicions about the taste ^__^

Ah, the taste. Gag reflex is involved. According to her, she wanted to puke while downing the bottle of dishwashing liquid, but forced herself to down it.

The son if a friend drank the best part of a bottle of lemon-scented washing-up liquid when he was very little (about three, I think). He was sick and, yes, the laxative effect was very apparent. She took him to hospital, and was told that it wasn't dangerous, just to give him plenty of water to drink and stand well back. The doctor also told her that after a couple of days, "he'd have the cleanest bowels in town". He showed no ill effects at all after about a week, and is now in his perfectly healthy twenties.

Nowadays, a harmless but extremely bitter-tasting substance called Bitrex is added to things like cleaning liquids, so that if they are accidentally swallowed they are spat out immediately, unless the person swallowing them is very determined indeed. It might be worth mentioning the very bitter taste, at least.

I know someone who swallowed a mouthful of dishsoap so that he could honestly call into work and say that he felt sick. Apparently he almost vomited on the phone with his boss. 3-4 hours later when he came to take me to the airport (the reason he'd called in sick) he was perfectly fine and even played a running game with me while waiting for the car.

Dishsoap LD50

(Anonymous)

2010-12-29 11:42 pm (UTC)

It's best to check the Material Safety Data Sheet for the product in question.

For instance, for Dawn, Proctor & Gamble lists the MSDS for each product.

http://www.pgproductsafety.com

From here you might see (depending on the product) that it contains Ethyl Alcohol, with an LD50 (rabbit, oral) of 6300 mg/kg, and the particular product might have a concentration of Ethyl Alcohol ranging between, say, 1-5%. Assuming the LD50 of the chemical ingested orally is the same between rabbit and human, scale per size and dose accordingly.

To make it simple, they also list some common problems associated with contact and ingestion.

Re: Dishsoap LD50

(Anonymous)

2010-12-29 11:44 pm (UTC)

Sorry, and it's worth pointing out for those who don't know what LD50 is, this is the dosage that kills half the test population. Staying below this number doesn't mean it's safe.

So obviously, you can cause lots of problems well before you get to this dose. Be careful.

Use Greenworks, i did a science fair prodject on if "green" soaps are truly less toxic than conventional ones and Greenworks was the least toxic!
(it smells good to!)